"Save Industry of Assam Day" was observed on 8 July across Assam. The call was given by Save Industry Save Worker Joint Action Committee, a platform of trade unions operating in various industries including sectors like paper mills, fertilizer, jute, electricity, tea, oil and airport. In response to the SISW JAC's call MP Ajit kr Bhutan, Noted intellectual Dr Hiren Gohien, Noted artist Loknath Goswami, senior advocate Santanu Barthakur, professior Sourabhpran Goswami of Guahati University, Saswati Sabhapandit, along with a number of intellectuals and prominent trade union leaders expressed their solidarity with the struggle.
Through the Save Industry Day following demands were particularly raised:
- To save Nagaon & Cachar paper mill from privatisation,
- To save Namrup Fertilizer corporation and Silghat Jute mill from closure,
- To save power sector from being privatised,
- To protect the interest of the workers of Airport already been sold to Ambani,
- To protect the retrenched jobless workers, and
- To express anguish and condolences at the untimely sad demise of retrenched workers due to starvation and penury.
BJP had promised in last assembly election to reopen two paper mills but post election it has shamelessly backtracked from its promise. The Protest Day focused on building a national people’s movement to save the industries. The protest day was observed in all districts, from Barak valley to Brahmaputra, and in almost all the sectors by the thousands of workers of Assam. SISW JAC Conveners Pankaj Das and Ramen Das thanks workers and eminent citizens for coming out in large to make success the Save Industries of Assam Day.